Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Backpacking in Washington


Last weekend three of my girlfriends and I went backpacking. After the first failed attempt to camp at the Indian Heaven Wilderness area, due to snow, we headed to the Lewis Clark Trail. Note: when the National Forest Services' website says "trail closed due to snow" you should believe them, even when it is the middle of July.



So with plan B we went to the Lewis Clark Trail # 31 that follow the Lewis and Clark trail and has some spectacular waterfalls. In the begging we planned to hike in about 3 miles with our packs but ended up doing 7. It was one of the most beautiful hikes

I have ever been on with multiple stream crossings, waterfalls,
and giant cedars. Unfortunately my Chaco shoe strap broke so I did the whole trip with a broken shoe. And yes, I am aware I am wearing socks with my sandals.








In the morning we were greeted with three river otters playing in the water. I came to the conclusion that I want one. After hiking back out we drove up to the Lower Falls area, which is where one of the famous Lewis and Clark River Falls is. I don't know if you can tell by the picture, but these falls drop about 250 feet.



















Standing on top of the falls! Moments later I watched a kayaker go down them!


1 comment:

  1. The falls are incredible! Did you go swimming? :) One of these days I'll make it out there, I swear!

    ReplyDelete