Monday, September 28, 2009

First Weekend In Portlandia




What a wonderful first weekend in Portland! Friday night I made a wonderful dinner with fresh salmon, corn, leeks, and wild rice. Saturday we adventured downtown on our bikes for the first time. We got lost a few times but finally made it to the Downtown Farmers Market (shown above). The ride only takes about 20 min because it is all down hill.
We spent a lovely time at the market and picked up alot of fresh produce including apples and peaches. Yum! The market is bigger and busier than the ones in Colorado.There are so many vendors selling produce, cheese, bread, eggs, and meat. There is also a section solely street vendors selling anything from gyros and pork sandwiches to vegan, organic, gluten free foods. After picking up some delicious veggies and fruit we sat down and had a snack composed of a huckleberry scone (huckleberries are abundant here), locally made natural raspberry soda, and a fresh peach




Brendan at the market


Sunday I went for the most beautiful bike ride I have ever been on. I pedaled my way of a slowly rising road surrounded by farms, valleys, and small houses. When I reached the top there were several places to stop and look out over the Columbia river. On the other side was Washington! Descending down the back side you are surround by lush vegetation and enormous trees. Towards the bottom there are dozens of waterfalls that you can see from the road and even more that you can hike to. The road I was on is called the Old Columbia Hwy. It was originally built on each side of the river (one in OR and one in WA) to entice people to move to Oregon and Washington. The idea was that people would drive in on this beautiful highway and see how gorgeous the area. Well, it worked! Once I figure out how to upload images from my phone I can post some of the views.

After my epic ride we went to one of the 34 local breweries in Portland with our friend Chris. We went to Bridgeport Brewery and had some sample trays.














































How curbside trash should look
(Yard Debris, Recycling,Trash)


That brings us up to today (Monday) my first day of school!
I will let you know how it goes.
-Emily


2 comments: